Monday, July 27, 2009

Forfeiting God's Grace

As I was reading Jonah 2:8-9 the other day, this phrase jumped out at me and wouldn't leave me alone:

8 "Those who cling to worthless idols
forfeit the grace that could be theirs.

9 But I, with a song of thanksgiving,
will sacrifice to you.
What I have vowed I will make good.
Salvation comes from the LORD." (NIV)


Verse 8 really jumped out at me. How often do we as humans cling to something worthless and miss out on the things God wants to give us. We think we are hanging on for dear life and if we let go, we would fall to our deaths, but what we are really doing is forfeiting what God wants to do in our lives. He wants to give us grace to let go of the worthless things that we put in place of God and to receive the salvation He is waiting to bring.

When I was hanging on the anxiety and fear, I wasn't able to grasp hold of God's grace. Fear would grip me so tight, I would get into a panic and not be able to function. For example, if there was something new I had to do in the morning, like start a new job, do public speaking, I would worry about it all night giving up good sleep so that in the morning, I would make it so I wasn't able to function very well.

When I learned to let go of my anxiety and fear in these new situations, not believing the lie that I couldn't do it, I would be able to sleep well and function so much better in the morning. There were so many nights that I lay in bed wringing my hands and allowing fear to overcome me. The later it got, the more I would give in the fear, knowing I couldn't make it in the morning.

I was clinging to worthless idols, putting fear and anxiety above the peace of God. As I learned to allow God's peace to rest on me, I could let go of my fear, knowing that God had given me everything I needed to do the task set before me. I was able to find the grace from God that brings peace and rest.

Friends, I want this same thing for you. Don't allow the enemy to lie to you thinking you have to cling to something that brings fear and anxiety into your life. God has something so much better. He wants to bring you salvation in your area of greatest need. He wants to come in and save you from that worthless idol you are clinging to thinking it is the only thing that will save you. There is nothing you are experiencing that is too big for God. Let go, and allow God to bring about his salvation. It's easier said than done but it is not impossible. If I can do it, so can you!



No comments:

Post a Comment